Over the years, April’s writing and recipes have been included in many publications. Her work touches on seasonal eating, food preservation, traditional and regional foodways, women’s work, and history.
While proficient in a wide variety of cooking styles, April specializes in creative development of original, ingredient-driven canning, preserving, and baked good recipes, as well as adaptation and interpretation of traditional and vintage recipes for the modern kitchen.
- "Sweet on Sweet Potatoes" (Nov 2016)
Southern Foodways Alliance
Four-part series on preserving for the SFA blog (Summer 2015)
- "Southern Summer in a Jar: Jam Secrets from April McGreger"
- "Is Sauerkraut Southern? The Cloudy History of Salt-Brining Vegetables in the South"
- "The Many Powers of Homegrown Tomatoes"
- "Cha-Cha-Cha: April McGreger’s Chow Chow"
Southern Foodways Alliance Community Cookbook (2010)
April was one of the writers on this project and contributed three chapters.
Sweet Potatoes: A Savor the South Cookbook (UNC Press, 2014)
Rhubarb (Mar/Apr 2015)
NEW YORK TIMES
"Field Peas, a Southern Good Luck Charm" (Dec 2015)
April contributed her peas-and-cornbread recipe